Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What Is Your Favorite Part of Your Daily Routine?

I attended my first MOPS meeting this week and this was my ice breaker question. My shallow answer was that my favorite part is collapsing into bed at the end of the day. While it's true that I am thankful when evening finally comes and I finally get to rest, it isn't true that this is my favorite part of my day.

My real favorite part of my day involves my sweet little four year old.

A rare photo of Vance asleep in my arms. (Forgive the low-quality cell pic.)


I sneak into Vance's room every morning and play this game of, "Where's Vance?" He has a captain's bed and I never know if he is going to be in the normal bed or the catch-me-when-I-fall bed.

Sometimes he's on his BumbleBee pillow. Sometimes he's sprawled out uncovered using every inch of his body to take up as much space as a little guy can in a twin-size bed. But, it's been cold lately and he's been wrapped up in his beloved Thomas the Train blanket.

With the help of the hallway light, I'll finally spot his little head. I smile. And I leave him for the day. Then, I go downstairs and give my older son hugs and kisses and head off to work. This morning game and hugs from Shepard are my favorite part of my day, which is immediately followed by the hardest part of my day...leaving them for work which is a one-hour drive away from home.

And That's Why I Need to Connect with Mommies

Most of the mommies with whom I have developed meaningful friendships are work-at-home-moms (WAHM). They crochet. They homeschool their kids. They bake. They craft. Their homes are organized. They run around with their kids all day. It's so dreamy, right? I realize it's a bit exaggerated, but the truth is that they get to stay home. As much as I would love to be a full-time mom, that's just not how God orchestrated my life. I have to work and He has blessed me professionally.

But, anyway...

I need to develop meaningful relationships with mommies who work away from home like me. And this is why I think the mommy group is going to be great for me! I loved the diversity of the group...there were lots of happy working moms and a handful of moms who do not work outside the home who also desire a personal connection with other local moms.

Contributing to the Group

I introduced myself as a big computer geek who also has a side business crocheting. So during the meeting and after the meeting, moms were asking me if I could teach them to crochet or help with their sewing machine problems. I recommended Craftsy as an excellent source for learning how to work with your sewing machine and also learning how to do other crafts.

There are lots of free classes that you can take from the comfort of your own home. After you sign up, click on "Online Classes", then in the lower right, you'll notice a section of Free Classes. These video-based mini classes will help solve your sewing machine issues, walk you through your first project and hopefully spark your interest in taking more classes. Here are just a few of the amazing classes they offer (and notice that the Quick & Easy Bags class is free):

Online Knitting Class  Online Sewing Class  Online Cake Decorating Class

So, let me leave you with two things to do:
  1. Leave a comment telling me what is your favorite part of your daily routine?
  2. Go sign up for a Craftsy account while you are thinking about it. 
I can't wait to read your responses! Have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...