Thanksgiving is so late this year and is therefore shortening the most wonderful time of the year. Christmas music and decorations are banned from our house until Santa makes his grand appearance in the world-famous Thanksgiving Day Parade.
But, I give all of you permission to break tradition just long enough to pack a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child. Pop in your favorite Christmas music, gather the family and have some good old-fashioned fun while teaching your children how to be giving, caring individuals. I am asking each reader to commit with your family to pack one shoebox filled with trinkets and treats for a child around the world.
What is required from you?
- A box (cardboard or plastic - similar in size to a shoe box). Want to have a shoebox packing party? You can order boxes online for a donation.
- Print and attach a label for your box indicating gender and age group of the recipient!
- Stuff the box with goodies (more info below)
- Drop-off your box during the 3rd week of November!
- Donate $7.00 per box to cover shipping costs. If you cover the shipping cost online, you are able to print a unique barcode and Follow your box around the world. If you wish to write a check, please check their web site for current info on how to do so.
Do you have to drop off your box at a designated location?
No. You may mail boxes at any time throughout the year to this address:
Operation Christmas Child
PO Box 3000
801 Bamboo Road
Boone, NC 28607
Suggested Items for Boxes:
- Toys (Ideas for Boys and Girls)
- School Supplies (Don't forget the crafty supplies, too.)
- Hygiene Items
- Something personal from you
Sending Something PersonalI think this might be my favorite part of the box and here are some of my ideas for what you can put in the box:
- A handwritten note and photograph of your family
- Artwork made by your kids (polymer clay sculpture, jewelry, paintings/drawings, etc.)
- Something handmade by you (a zippered pouch, game, etc.)
I read on the Operation Christmas Child web site that if you include your name and complete mailing address, you may even get a response back from the child. How cool is that?
Can I still help if I don't have time to pack a box?
Yes! You can build a box online!