Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rainbow Fishing Game - Free Pattern

A local customer contacted me to make a fishing game set for her grandson. She referred to one of my pins on Pinterest that turned out to not have a pattern with it (a second reminder to be careful what you pin). I agreed to make a fishing game in my own style and that's what you'll find below. The idea for a fishing game is not original, but the pattern is my own design.

Supplies

Worsted Weight Yarn - 7 Colors needed for the rainbow, a lip color, plus 6 fish colors
Small amount of Crochet Thread (I used Bernat's Handicrafter Cotton Thread Size 5 in Gray)
Size "B" 2.25 mm crochet hook
Size "G" 4.25 mm crochet hook
Small Amount of stuffing
Sew-on Craft Eyes (optional)
6 Washers (1/2" or smaller with a hole large enough to fit your hook through)
Super Strong Magnets - I used one magnet 8 mm wide by 3 mm high
Tree Branch or Dowel Rod for Fishing pole

Stitches

Magic Circle
sc - Single Crochet
sl st - Slip Stitch
sc2tog - Single Crochet two together

The Pattern

Tailfin

The lovely heart shaping on the tailfin is achieved by creating two separate pieces, then attaching them together on Round 3. To do this, you will work Piece A through Round 2 and fasten off. For Piece B, you will follow the same first two rounds, then join Piece A and Piece B together while crocheting on Round 3.

Using body color, Ch 2.
Round 1: sc 6 times in 2nd ch from hook (6)
Round 2: *2sc, sc* repeat from * around (9)
For first tailfin, fasten off. For 2nd tailfin, continue working.
Round 3: sc in next 4 sts of the current piece (Piece B), work the next sc into the first unworked stitch of Piece A, then continue working 1 sc in next 8 sts, then work 1 sc in the 5 remaining sts of Piece B. (18)
Round 4: *sc2tog, sc* repeat from * around (12)
Round 5: *sc2tog* repeat from * around (6)
Fasten off with a short tail.

Note: You may notice a small gap where the pieces were joined together. The tail will not be stuffed, so it's ok to leave it as is. However, if you use this technique on a project that will require stuffing, you can use the yarn ends from fastening off Piece A to close the gap.

Fish Body

The fish begins by working single crochets around the washer using the lip color. To work a single crochet around the wash, draw up a loop through the hole in the center of the washer, then yarn over and pull through the loop at the edge of the washer. 

Round 1: Using lip color, work 12 sc around washer. For this round only, join with sl st. Pull up a loop using the body color and ch 1. Pull the tail of the lip color tightly around the body color and fasten off leaving a short tail. (12)
Round 2: Using body color, sc in each stitch around (12)
Round 3: *2sc, sc* repeat from * around (18)
Round 4: sc in each stitch around (18)
Round 5: *2sc, sc in next 2 sts* repeat from * around (24)
Round 6-8: sc in each stitch around (24, work 3 rounds)
Round 9: *sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts* repeat from * around (18)
Round 10: sc in each stitch around (18)
Round 11: *sc2tog, sc* repeat from * around (12)
Round 12: sc in each stitch around (12)
At this point, you should stuff the fish and attach safety eyes if using them. Safety eyes should be secured at the same spot on each side of the fish.
Round 13: *sc2tog* repeat from * around (6)
Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing.

Assemble the Fish

Thread the long tail from the fish body through a yarn needle and begin sewing the tail and fish together by picking up one loop from the tail, then one loop from the fish and continue around. Fasten off by tying a knot and pulling it to the inside.
NOTE: If you used eyes, make sure you position the tail correctly (up/down) in comparison with the eyes.

The Magnetic Hook

To make the magnetic portion as safe as possible, I crocheted a small encasement around the magnet leaving a small portion of the bottom of the magnet exposed.

Using crochet thread (size 5 cotton) and a size "B" hook.

Round 1: Crochet 10 scs into a Magic Circle. Pull the circle until the last sc meets up with the first sc. There will be a small opening in the center of the magic circle.
Round 2: *sc 2 tog* around.
Fasten off leaving an 18" tail.

Insert the magnet into the middle of the crocheted piece.

Using a yarn needle, pull the tail through one loop of each sc from Round 2. Pull the tail tightly to close up the hole on the top.


Fishing Pole

Cut a stick (or dowel rod) to approx. 10" long.

Wrap the long tail of the crochet thread around the fishing pole 3 times, then tie it off securely.


The Fishing Pond that doubles as a carrying bag is available as a kit exclusive!

The kit includes all the hard-to-find materials that you'll need to create the fishing game. I have already pre-cut the tree branches (and they all have a tiny handle for toddler hands). Plus, they've been cleaned and rubbed with organic coconut oil. The kit also comes with the wiggle eyes, washers and magnet assembly PLUS the BONUS pattern for the Pond and Carrying Bag.
Buy it now on Etsy


SAFETY FIRST

Magnets are not intended for use in toys for children under 3 years of age. Magnets can be harmful if swallowed as normal machines cannot be used to detect them. Never use two magnets in one project. If a child swallows two magnets, the magnets can stick together through the intestinal walls causing major damage. Please use caution when allowing your children to play with toys containing magnets.

38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 1/2" or smaller. Just be sure the hole in the center is large enough to pass your hook through.

      Delete
  2. Tried to buy the kit on Etsy but is sold out. Are you going to make any more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I plan on having the kits back online Tuesday. I had to order more magnets so that i can get the kits made. Please follow my blog, Etsy shop or Facebook page to stay informed. Thank you for your interest.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a hard time figuring out the tail, am I turning, or working in a round? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tracy -
      The fish tail is worked in continuous rounds. Please let me know if there is a certain part where you are getting stuck.

      Delete
  5. I love this and think it is adorable. Wish my kids were either small enough to use or old enough to have given me grandchildren so I had someone to make this for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Showing you some love from The Blue Star Boutique via the Snappy Tots link party! Super cute idea on the fishing game!!!!! When I have grandkids, I'll have to make it for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by Shelley :) Hope you are having a great Friday!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband says the washers are measured by the hole size, so do you mean half inch across to the outer edges, or the center hole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The package I had said 1/2", I think. I think I know where the box is. I'll double-check as soon as possible.

      Delete
  9. I'll be making these this week - super excited to start this cute project!
    Where can I find the pattern for the pond?
    Love the idea that it doubles as a carrying bag!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Me - the bag pattern was originally exclusive to those who purchased the kit. However, I have not been able to stock the kits for awhile, so I am willing to sell the formatted pattern on Etsy.

      Delete
    2. How do we find that? (Was having a hard time getting the link to Etsy to work... couldn't find it while searching Etsy, either) Am I too late?

      Delete
    3. Hi - are you looking for a kit? I have 6 more in stock, but I am waiting on more magnets before I post them. I may go ahead and open up the 6 that I have since multiple people have requested it. Thanks, Nichole

      Delete
  10. I would love that!!
    Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the looks of your fish, you are crocheting in the back loops....yet your pattern does not say this. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet -
      You are right. This set was made working through back loops. It can be made either way (BLO or both loops). I have a set on my hooks now working through both loops. I thought I had a photo on my phone, but I don't. I'll try to share it on my Instagram soon.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the clarification! Yours are so so cute....I've done thru both loops and the heart shape just doesn't look as pronounced. Much better thru the back loops :) Very cute pattern!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know about the shape of the tail. I'll have to compare them when I get home tonight.

      Please feel free to share photos on my facebook page, Ravelry or Instagram. I would love to see them. :)

      Delete
  12. I don't have time to order the kit I would like to buy the fish bag Carrying pattern how do I do that

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have time to buy the kit but I would like to get the carrying case pond how can I do that

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like the use of magnets, but I would have fitted the fishing rod with a crocheted circle dangling from the line and using it as a small lasso to fish around their tails. It would be slightly more difficult to catch a fish, but fare more fun to my idea. And a lot safer than using magnets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What size google eyes did you use????

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had this bookmarked forever - so precious cute! Thank you for sharing! Tumblr: HookedAtWeiss
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute, wish you would show the pond pattern to. Love this

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just to clarify, the magnet is inserted into the hook only? But if there is no corresponding magnet or metal piece inserted in the fishes, how does the hook attract the fishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine, the fish lips are made from a metal washer, which you crochet around. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How do you get the magnet to stick to the washer? The yarn covers it so much that even a strong magnet won't hold my fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a lighter weight yarn for the washer lips. Then, I used these to crochet around the magnet.

      Delete
  21. It says the kit is no longer available on Etsy. Any other way to get the pattern for the pond?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...